"The Cotton-Ropkey House, at 79th Street and Marsh Road just west of Interstate 465, sits on 95 acres that Kite Realty Group bought in 2004. Five years later, facing a tepid development climate, Kite agreed to let Landmarks search for a buyer. Kite would sell the house for $1 if the buyer would agree to move it to another site."
One of the oldest houses in Marion County, it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original owner, Isaac Cotton, was a Pike Township clerk and assessor who served as the township's Civil War draft enrollment commissioner and was a beekeeper, swine breeder and wool grower. The home was sold to the Ropkey family in 1937. The Ropkeys sold the house and land in 2004 when zoning issues forced a move of their hobby, the Ropkey Armor Museum out of town.
This Indianapolis Observer would hope that St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church, located across 79th Street, would purchase the home for a parsonage. Another option is moving it to a site further west on 79th Street in the Normandy Farms development. Any architecture angels out there?
The Cotton-Ropkey house at 6360 West 79th Street dates from 1850 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original owner, Isaac Cotton, was a Pike Township clerk and assessor who served as the township's Civil War draft enrollment commissioner and was an accomplished beekeeper, swine breeder and wool grower. Most recently the antique farmhouse was home to the Ropkey family which maintained a collection of military equipment relics, including tanks and airplanes. The Ropkey Armor Museum has since moved to Crawfordsville.